Football Q & A

Courtesy Image

Courtesy Image

Ava Dixon, Reporter

Senior- Ty Cole

“My name is Tyzhaun Cole pretty much play were ever they put me at. Whatever the team need’s is where I play.”

How long have you been playing football whether it be for Turner High school or just in general?

“It’s been 11 years, I started when I was 6 and I’m 17 years old.”

What is the most difficult parts of being a High School football player?

“Time management. You gotta go to practice right after school and a lot of us work so sometimes we get home at 11 o’clock, get a few hours of sleep, and do it all over again. But it’s fun and you’re doing something you love.”

Would you say that the coaches push you hard so that you can do the best you possibly can and if so, what are some things they do that make it tough on your or the team as a whole?

-“Coach Byers, Coach Bell, and Coach Smallwood all do a pretty good job, and all know what they’re doing, so if you’re willing to listen, you can always learn something. Coach Bell, my offensive coach, coach Byer’s, and even last year’s coach, coach Franklin, they all hold us to a very high standard, and they let us know if we don’t meet that standard. They just want to make us the best we can be but some of that is a want, us players gotta want if for ourselves because they can only do so much for us. So that hard work and all that ethic come from us and them pushing us.”

As a member of the team, would you say that everyone has each other’s backs and if so, do you have an example?

-“For sure. A lot these kids have been here since freshman year, and even though I’m new, I’ve been playing football and sweating with these boys since summer. We all have an understanding of who each other is. We know what to do and what not to say so we all have each other’s back and were never going to let anybody hurt us or say anything us any type of way because we call each other brothers. We’re family. When I first transferred here, I actually got my phone token and I had some good friend’s that were trying to find out who took my phone and that was just when I first transferred here. Coach Bell does a great job and does a lot more than any other coach had done for me. He picked me up when I was late for school and he really help’s me out.”

As a Senior, what are your personal goals for this season and what do you hope to accomplish?

-“To make my mom and my dad proud. My goal is to make it to division 1 and division 2, which I’m already halfway there, and to really just make it out. I want to be the first one in my family, and people that I know, to make it to collage and be something different. I don’t want to be no statistic. I feel like I’m doing a good job and I’m on the right track, so my goal is really just to graduate and go play ball.”

Junior- Arianna Ortiz

What is your name and what position do you play on the team?

“My name is. Arianna Ortiz. I play corner/Kick off.”

How long have you been playing football wither it be for Turner Highschool or just in general?

“This will be my first year ever playing.”

“Understanding that it’s a team sport. It’s not individual, you don’t rely on just one person to win or play. Any sports I have played have been individual and this is my first year playing for a team sport.”

-“Defiantly. Maybe even harder than the other guys cause guys and girl’s physical abilities are much different. Guys are naturally a lot stronger and a lot faster, so I have to work twice as hard to keep up with them. In the weight room I went from benching 60 to now I’m at 95 max.”

-“I would defiantly say that everyone has each other’s backs and there’s just a family with the football community. I think they all or down to help each other whenever they need it. It just happens daily. Even though we compete on the field for your spot, at the end of the day if they make a good pass, or you through really well, or your defending very well you tell them good job. And they’re always there for them.”

As a Junior, what are your personal goals for this season and what do you hope to accomplish?

-“My goal is to have fun, honestly. I’m here to work hard and get conditioned for wrestling because I am a wrestler and to have a lot of fun.”

Sophomore- Raymond Carrillo

“My name is Raymond Carrillo and my position is Defensive end?”

“I’ve been playing for Turner since 7th grade so for 4 years. That’s the first time I’ve ever played real football.”

“I think the most difficult part is right after practice cause I’m really tired after practice. They really push us hard and right after practice I go home but I feel like taking a nap because of how hard it is. I get really tired.”

“I think all around he pushes us really hard almost every single day and what pushes us most is keeping up with school, having good behavior, especially having good behavior around your teammates.

– “I think most people has each other’s backs especially when we step in the game. But I have one example where especially the seniors taking care of the younger generation like juniors’ sophomores and freshman, like if they don’t have a ride the seniors will give them a ride.”

As a sophomore, what are your personal goals for this season and what do you hope to accomplish?

“My personal goal is to score some points; I really want to score some points. Another personal goal of mine is also to make it the best experience for the seniors because I know it hasn’t been all good and great for a long time and I want to make sure that when they leave, they leave on a good note. That they actually inspire the younger generation of freshman sophomore and juniors because they’re going to be seniors next year and I want them to be happy that they were a part of this team.”

Freshman- Adrian Hernandez

-“My name is Adrian Hernandez and I am a defensive tackle for Turner football.”

“Just in general, for about four years, but for Turner in general it’ll be two.”

-“They do push us as hard as we can. There are times when we’re doing right and times when we’re doing wrong and they’ll let us know. So yeah, I think they do.”

-“Yeah, I do. Especially Edgar Castillo, one of my closest friends. But we definitely are a big family. Instead of a football team we consider ourselves a family.”

As a Freshman, what are your personal goals for this season and what do you hope to accomplish?

-“I’d like to give my seniors a win. They haven’t had a win since freshman year, so that’s definitely what I want to do.”